Sunday, November 29, 2009

Drying to go Outside




I was fairly certain when I took this picture that outdoor laundry season was over for the year.  I may get a few dry winter days that will allow me to sneak a washer load by Mother Nature but I know there will not be many before late next spring.

On to my back up plan with my folding indoor Mrs. Peggs Handy Line.
With a convenient folding rack I can continue to line dry inside or on the porch, and if I had a basement I would hang a line or put the Handy Line there.

Not only do I enjoy the activity of hanging the laundry it has a instant financial and environmental return.

Some of the benefits of Line Drying are:
  • Electric dryers use are said to use 5 to 10% of the residential electricity in the United States.  Some estimates that include laundromats and laundry services estimate up to 20% of a household electric costs are for drying with electricity.  The estimate is less for gas dryers.
  • You can conservatively estimate that you will save at least $100 dollars a year by line or air drying you clothes on a regular basis.
  • Besides the fresh smell of outdoor drying you also get the benefit of ultraviolet light naturally disinfecting your laundry.
  • Clothing and fabrics last longer.
  • Out door laundry drying is a life sport that gets you outside at any age.



2 comments:

  1. I manage to air dry year round using clothes drying racks. I try to run the washer early in the morning then I hang the clothes on a clothes drying rack that I place in the middle of the living room under the ceiling fan while I am at work. They are then dry and ready to put away when I get home. If I get behind and have to do a second load on the same day then I place the rack back in the living room before retiring for the night and let the air do its thing while I sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, great film!! LOVE the drying lines activism!! :)

    We dry clothes on lines all the time, we do have a dryer and I hate it because it destroys my linens!! (Mum says it's convenient & quick, but she hates the fact it destroys the vests and undies too!! :)
    So I'm lobbying for more air-drying all the time! :)

    ReplyDelete